Provide advice and counsel to the PRIM Board of Trustees, Executive Director, and staff regarding all legal matters affecting the PRIM Board, including, contracts, employment law, municipal law, administrative law, public records, public procurement, ethics law, open meeting law, and litigation; provide formal and informal legal opinions to the PRIM Board of Trustees, Executive Director, and staff.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assure compliance with regulations, policies, and procedures necessary to carry out the PRIM Board’s statutory purposes.
- Review and update employee policies and handbooks; advise the Executive Director on all employment law issues.
- Provide legal support for the enforcement of the PRIM Board’s contracts policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Monitor developments in legislative and regulatory matters and advise the Executive Director, as necessary.
- Oversee the review of template contracts and procurement procedures used by the PRIM Board in selecting and contracting with investment managers and other service providers.
- Oversee the PRIM Board procurements; review procurement documents and contracts for the procurement of services providers; evaluate and select consultants and vendors as a member of the PRIM Board procurement team.
- Assign work to outside counsel; monitor and direct their performance; review and approve invoices.
- Liaison with the Attorney General’s Office, Office of the State Treasurer, and outside counsel regarding all securities litigation matters.
- Oversee PRIM’s governance structure.
- Draft and review outgoing correspondence, approvals, decisions and other documents for clarity and consistency with the PRIM Board policies and applicable law, including press inquiries and financial disclosures in Commonwealth’s debt offerings.
- Oversight for all public records requests.
- Perform such other duties as may be required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- D. from accredited law school and member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar.
- Senior level (10+ years) experience as an attorney regularly practicing in the following subject areas: contracts, municipal law, public records, public procurement, ethics law, open meeting law, litigation, administrative law, employment law.
- Demonstrated experience in the drafting, interpretation, and enforcement of statutes, regulations, and by-laws.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of public policy for a public entity.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent research and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with various stakeholders.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to take ownership of activities outside direct job responsibilities, when necessary.
It is the policy of Pension Reserves Management Board to afford equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, military status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or gender unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification.